If you are looking to start your own Shopify project, just to play around, you can register to become a Shopify partner ar partners.shopify.com. Once approved, your partner dashboard includes the ability to create and manage development stores with all the features of Shopify except payment processing. To accept payments, you need to create a managed store first.
How to request collaborator access to a Shopify Store from your Shopify Partners Account
- Go to the Shopify login page and log in using your Shopify account details.
- Once you’re logged in, ask the store owner or an existing collaborator to add you as a collaborator with the necessary permissions. The store owner or collaborator can do this by going to “Settings” in the Shopify admin panel, selecting “Collaborators,” and then clicking on the “Add collaborator” button.
- In the “Add a collaborator” dialog box, enter your email address and select the permissions you need. To access developer-level tools, you will need to be granted the “Theme templates and theme assets” permission.
- Once the store owner or collaborator adds you as a collaborator, you will receive an email with instructions on how to accept the invitation.
- Accept the invitation, and you will now have access to the store as a collaborator with the necessary permissions to work on the theme and other aspects of the store.
Note that access to developer level tools requires a Shopify partner account that includes access to the theme code.